Monday, August 29, 2011

Spill the beans...

Did you know that there are produced almost 20 million metric tons of beans in the world each year? How amazing is that? Then, come to think of it, beans are actually eaten all over the world in one form or another...

I like beans, peas and lentils. They are good for so much, they are both nutritious and tasty. And ever so versatile.

I often use them in my Indian cooking. The red lentils (with the hull left on) with garlic, ginger and butter. The chickpeas pan roasted with any masala really, or in a biryani or vegetable curry.


A quick way to make a nice salad is to just toss in some fava beans or kidney beans. No need to ad neither meat or chicken since the beans will absolutely fill you up!

One of my favorite beans of all is the Japanese edamame bean. I buy it frozen and still in it's pod, cook it briefly in heavily salted water. After shelling the beans I just drizzle some lemon oil on and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt flakes.

Baked beans with fried "falu" sausage is a childhood favorite that I have passed on to my son.

Also the sprouts are exceptionally nice in a stir fry or a sukiyaki.

A little tip, if you boil your own beans, (the canned ones are terrific too), chuck in a piece of raw potato, it will make the hull soften...




Oh, and the red lentils you don't even have to boil, just put them in a bowl of water during the night and they will be superb to eat as they are or flavor to taste.



14 comments:

  1. 20 million tons?!?! Thanks for all the fun and interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A motivating discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you should write more about this subject, it
    may not be a taboo matter but typically folks don't speak about these issues. To the next! Many thanks!!

    My page: White Kidney Bean Diets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkable issues here. I'm very glad to peer your article. Thanks so much and I'm
    looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?


    Have a look at my web-site ... white kidney bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about skin care anti.
    Regards

    my blog post - Le Parfait

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your style is so unique compared to other folks I've read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this site.

    Also visit my web site; Muscle REv Xtreme Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this post completely concerning the difference of most recent and previous technologies, it's amazing article.

    Also visit my blog: Order Pure GCE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may come back very soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice holiday weekend!

    My weblog Beta Force Muscle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for another excellent article. The place else could anybody get that kind
    of information in such an ideal manner of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the
    search for such information.

    Feel free to visit my site; LeParfait Review

    ReplyDelete
  9. We stumbled over here different website and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

    Visit my blog post Order Pur Essence

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might
    be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations,
    please share. Many thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: http://xtrasizereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, this was an extremely good post. Spending some time and actual effort to make a
    very good article… but what can I say… I put things off a
    lot and never seem to get anything done.

    my blog post: fast muscle building

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my first time visit at here and i am actually
    happy to read all at single place.

    Feel free to visit my blog :: Max Robust

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.

    I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.

    I am quite sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    Also visit my web blog :: RTVtl Anti Aging

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lullan!
    I found your great website and we would love to feature it!! I work with www.TheBesty.com which helps people all over the world find the best restaurants & food. Simply email me back the names and cities of 5-10 restaurants locally or anywhere in the world - that you think are the BEST, and we'll feature your picks & link to your website, so our users can find you! We work with websites & blogs in over 50 countries, it would be great to work with yours as well!
    A few of our celebrity users include: Anthony Bourdain, Guy Fieri, and Rachael Ray!
    Featured Blogs: http://www.thebesty.com/search/blogs
    Also, we would love to feature an article about your site, so if you would like to do a write-up about how your website got started, with any fun tidbits about yourself, send that my way and I’ll have our content team post it for you, FB it & tweet it! - any length works! :) Try to send your 5-10 favorite restaurant picks in the next few days, and then you can take up to 2 weeks to send the article if you would like us to post it!
    I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully we can feature your site under our featured blogs!
    Cheers,

    Julia
    Website & Blog Partners
    www.TheBesty.com
    www.twitter.com/TheBestycom

    TheBesty.com

    ReplyDelete